We have an exciting volunteering opportunity available at City Hospice! We’re looking for a Sunday Team Leader to help support with our weekend opening operations at our Penarth Retail Store.
City Hospice’s retail team play a vital role in raising funds to support our patients and families. We have a number of charity shops across Cardiff and Vale of Glamorgan which are supported by an army of dedicated volunteers. Our shops play a vital role in the communities in which they’re a part of. Not only do they raise funds, they also promote our services and events to their customers. As part of our retail commitment to raise funds we will be opening 7 days a week.
Paul, a Retail Volunteer Team Leader says:
“The best thing about volunteering here is becoming part of the Hospice’s family and being able to contribute to an amazing local charity”.
What will I be doing?
• Key holder responsibility to open and close store, cash handling responsibilities and to manage the volunteers to ensure a smooth running of the store.
• Sorting, steaming and price donated stock ready for sale on the shop floor
• Creating beautiful and exciting window displays to attract customers and promote City Hospice’s activities
• Providing excellent customer service whilst working on the shop floor
• Encouraging our loyal supporters to sign up to GiftAid their donations to maximise their kind donations
• Speaking positively about the work of City Hospice in the community
• Promoting other fundraising activities such as our Lottery, fundraising events, and volunteering opportunities
• Adhering to relevant policies and procedures, including our Volunteer Policy, Data Protection Policy, and Equality and Diversity Policy, amongst others.
What type of skills and qualities do I need?
• Depending on your tasks, you’ll need to be able to handle bags of donations
• Enthusiasm about the work of City Hospice and the support we give to families and patients in the community and at the hospice
Why should I get involved?
• You get the opportunity to support local people in a local charity
• You can meet new people through our volunteering social events
• You can gain new skills for your CV whilst using existing ones
How long do I need to volunteer for?
• Full day Sunday will be 9.45am – 4.15pm to open and close the store. This will include the cashing up of the till which you will be given full training and have
• Leadership skills and previous experience in a retail style environment desirable.
• A can-do positive attitude and willingness to get involved where help is needed
• A hard working honest and reliable person that enjoys being part of a team
• Experience in retail is a bonus, but we’ll give you full training
• support whilst learning the role.
City Hospice, Whitchurch Hospital Grounds, Park RD, Whitchurch, CF14 7BF
Tel: 02920 524150