We support people with combined sight and hearing loss to live the lives they want, and we are currently looking for a home befriender for one of our members.
Our member Marion has a fantastic personality and loves a “good laugh”. Marion lives at home with her husband who has dementia and spends a lot of her time looking after him. Due to her husband’s condition and Marion’s sight and hearing loss she finds it very difficult to get some time to herself. Marion has a few other health issues herself which make it hard for her to get out and about. She is becoming very lonely and isolated. She used to love going for a stroll at spots like Cardiff Bay and Penarth Pier but as she can no longer drive she hasn’t been able to do this in a while. Marion would love to find a volunteer befriender to help her get some rest bite and drive her to her favourite walking routes. Marion uses British Sign Language but can read lips and speaks very clearly.
What will you get out of it?
- It’s a direct way to make a difference to a deafblind person’s life.
- You will be supporting a great cause, while giving something back to your community.
- You will build a new friendship and have the opportunities to learn new skills.
- We will offer you full training, support and guidance throughout your volunteering experience with Deafblind UK.
- Reimbursement of out of pocket expenses such as mileage or public transport costs.
Qualities and Skills we are looking for:
- We are looking for enthusiastic and reliable Volunteers.
- Good communication skills, particularly with regard to conversational skills.
- To be reliable and have a genuine interest to make a difference in lives of deafblind people.
- Patience and a warm and friendly attitude.
What will we ask for in return?
- A regular commitment of one weekly visit – usually 1-3 hours.
- We will need to undertake two references and a DBS check before this role can start.
- You will need to be over the age of 18 years to apply for this role.
Tags: Befriending, Health and Wellbeing, Sports/Recreation and Leisure
John and Lucille van Geest Place,
Tel: 01733 358100